Osteoarthritis is the most common form of arthritis. It would come from the inability of the body to repair the joint having suffered damage and it is part of the normal aging of this one. This damage can come either from an injury or from a prolonged and/or repeated overload on a joint. One in six Indians currently faces this problem.
HOW DOES OSTEOARTHRITIS APPEAR?
Osteoarthritis can present with different symptoms:
- Crackling and joint noises
WHAT AREAS OF THE BODY CAN BE AFFECTED BY OSTEOARTHRITIS?
Several joints can be affected by osteoarthritis, the most common areas are:
HOW TO TREAT OSTEOARTHRITIS?
Although there is still no way to cure osteoarthritis, several solutions are available to people who suffer from it, in order to improve their quality of life. The solution most recommended and most quoted in the scientific literature is exercise!
The most recent studies demonstrate the benefits:
- Reduction of pain
- Reduced use of pain medication
- Improved quality of life
- and several other complementary benefits to the general health of the body.
In addition, the exercise would delay or avoid certain surgical procedures.
PHYSIOTHERAPY AND OSTEOARTHRITIS
Your physiotherapist in Dwarka is well equipped to guide you in managing your pain related to osteoarthritis.
A physiotherapy consultation will include:
- Assessment of joint mobility, strength, posture, and functional abilities;
- Advice on joint protection and pain management;
- Prescription and teaching of exercises personally adapted to the condition (mobility, strengthening, and proprioception);
- joint mobilizations;
- Orthopedic manual therapy;
- Soft tissue techniques;
- Suggestion for a technical walking aid.