What is neurological physiotherapy?
Neurological physiotherapy is one of the many branches of physiotherapy and its mission is the evaluation and treatment of pathologies that affect the central and/or peripheral nervous system.
The physiotherapist in Dwarka, Janakpuri, Delhi who is specialized in neurological patients will direct their treatment to improve the functions that are altered in the patient: mobility, balance, posture, etc. This will cover the treatment of disabilities related to motor and sensory impairment.
The most important thing is to help the patient to be able to do his best in the realization of his activities of daily life.
There are many pathologies that can be treated with neurological physiotherapy: ACV (cerebrovascular accident) or stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s and cerebral palsy, among others.
In all these cases neurological physiotherapy at home in Dwarka is of great importance and it is therefore worth deepening into what and why this rehabilitation is needed. We focus on this case in stroke, although it is applicable to other pathologies.
What is post-stroke rehabilitation?
The neurological rehabilitation by the physiotherapist in Janakpuri, Delhi will consist of the following:
- Comprehensive evaluation to assess the capabilities of the patient: strength, sensitivity, and coordination, among others. Problems of motor control, sensory disturbances (including pain), memory problems and emotional disturbances must be taken into consideration. Although not all of these points are the competence of the physiotherapist, you have to keep them in mind.
- Inquire about the biopsychosocial environment of the patient. Everything that surrounds the patient will affect their health status and, consequently, the recovery process.
- Try to restore lost skills due to brain damage. Examples could be reeducation of walking (teaching how to walk) or teaching how to dress and undress.
- Teach new ways to perform tasks to compensate for possible deficits after stroke. As an example, we could put having to bathe with the use of only one hand.
- Promote patient mobility independently.
- Performing position changes, passive exercises (performed by the physiotherapist), active exercises (performed by the patient) and strengthening exercises will play an important role.
- Keep in mind that the treatment will be progressive. It will start with simpler tasks and tasks of greater complexity will gradually be done.
- Be aware that repeated, well-focused and well-guided practice is essential. The treatment directed by the physiotherapist specialized in neurological patients must be well structured.
Can home rehabilitation help patients with brain damage?
Neurological rehabilitation at home is a key element for several reasons.
One of them will be the patient’s greatest comfort, which will positively influence recovery. Another, the importance of having a personalized treatment and as soon as possible after the stroke.
In addition, it is easier for the physiotherapist in Uttam Nagar, Delhi to get an idea of the needs of the patient in terms of activities of daily living at home.
As we have said before, giving the patient the tools necessary to take advantage of his day to day life is fundamental. That is why a study ” in situ ” (in the home) of all the daily tasks of the patient is essential.
Why start rehabilitation as soon as possible?
Starting the Physiotherapy treatment as soon as possible is essential in the neurological recovery of the patient with stroke. According to the best physiotherapist in Dwarka, Delhi, functional recovery is greater in the first month. The sooner you start the treatment, the more chance of having good results.
The idea is to start the treatment once the patient is stable, which in some cases takes no more than 24-48h.
It is interesting to start the treatment in the same hospital. Sometimes hospitals do not have the necessary staff to treat neurological patients the way they need. At this point, the home physiotherapist, whether at home or at the hospital, plays a key role.
Treatment in both areas, hospital, and home is recommended. This is because starting the treatment soon in the hospital is as important as the continuation of it at home.
Experts say that it is possible to achieve improvement even after a stroke. That is the importance of having a regular and prolonged treatment over time.